Presuming you have the gift, the simplest way to start dowsing is to hold two right angles of stiff wire loosely in each hand. Begin to walk over ground where there might be water. As soon as you are near or over water the two wires will cross.
You can also dowse with a Pendulum
The pendulum knows everything and is never wrong, so you may be surprised at how many ‘facts’ are actually the opposite of what you thought. Sometimes the truth can suddenly become untrue, and then true again. Don’t worry about this - the world and truth are organic things that are prone to change, and it is not our place to question them.
Things to try while dowsing
- Throw your household keys into a hedge, and see if you can find them again using dowsing.
- If you are struggling to think of a word, hold a pendulum over a dictionary.
- Can’t remember the page in your book? Dowsing will help again.
- Need to find several people with the same name as yourself? Go to a crowded place and you will get results in no time.
- Fed up with walking while dowsing? Hold the rods out of the car window while you drive - Don’t worry about steering the car, the rods will do that for you.
- Go dowsing for fish. As soon as your dowsing rods cross, you will know there’s a fish underneath your boat. You will then have to make a hole in the bottom to catch it unawares.
- Go dowsing for landmines. You will know instantly when you are successful.
- Want to know which people in a room think you are behaving oddly? Just hold a pendulum over their heads.
- If you don’t have dowsing rods, don’t be afraid to try ‘finger dowsing’. Hold a palm flat and ‘finger dowse’ for loose change in women’s back pockets as they walk past you on the train.
- A lot of fuss is made about ‘allergies’ these days. More and more people believe they are ‘allergic’ to everything from nuts to strawberries. It’s probably impossible to have an allergy to something as harmless as a strawberry, but to be extra safe, use your rods to easily ‘dowse for allergens’, before giving the item to a child.
- Dowsing works best with water. If you believe a toilet is blocked, wobble the sticks over the pan before using it. While the pan may still look dangerously full, it will work fine.
- Many people dowse for Ley lines. These extremely auspicious energy channels criss-cross the country, and are easier to find than you might think. Some are kept high up out of harm’s way, supported by giant prism-like structures – there are probably several in your nearest field.
- Try dowsing for money at the bank. Remember bank clerks can be quite skeptical so you’ll want to hide the rods in your jacket pocket. Banks have CCTV, if they really want to mock you they might post footage of your face on YouTube, so make sure you cover your face with a balaclava or a magical ‘face stocking’. To prevent the people in the queue from disrupting the energy fields, make sure you shout ‘Nobody move!’ as you begin to dowse.